World Health Summit kicks off with EU-Commission President, several Ministers, UN Secretary-General,WHO Director-General
Learnings from COVID-19 and global health in focus
The World Health Summit, one of the most important international forums for global health, began on Sunday morning in Berlin and online. This year’s meeting will focus on topics such as global strategies for pandemic control and prevention, the role of Germany, Europe and the WHO in global health, vaccine equity, as well as climate change and health. More than 6,000 participants and 380 speakers from around the world are expected, partly on-site and partly online. The entire program is available for free online.
In the run-up to the World Health Summit, the CEO of Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin Prof. Dr. Heyo Kroemer called for international cooperation, especially in the field of global health: “The worldwide pandemic has dramatically illustrated the need for concerted actions and unhindered exchange of knowledge and expertise”.
The World Health Summit is organized at Charité.
The official opening ceremony of the World Health Summit will take place in the evening. Speakers include EU-Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, German Minister of Health Jens Spahn, UN Secretary-General António Guterres, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Roche-CEO Bill Anderson, UNICEF Director Henrietta H. Fore and Stefan Oelrich, Member of the Board of Management and Head of the Pharmaceuticals Division at Bayer AG.
Livestream of the opening ceremony: 24.10., 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM CET:
Details on the possible use of video and audio: see below.
Speakers of the World Health Summit (among others):
• Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission (video)
• Sanna Marin, Prime Minister, Finland
• Jens Spahn, Minister of Health, Germany
• António Guterres, Secretary-General, United Nations (video)
• Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO)
• Charles Michel, President of the European Council
• Christian Drosten, Director, Institute of Virology, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
• Özlem Türeci, Chief Medical Officer, BioNTech
• Seth Berkley, CEO, Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
• Peter Sands, Executive Director, The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
• Agnès Callamard, Secretary General, Amnesty International
• Heyo Kroemer, CEO, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
• Jane Halton, Chair of the Board, Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI)
• Bernd Montag, CEO, Siemens Healthineers
• Soumya Swaminathan, Chief Scientist, World Health Organization (WHO)
• Lia Tadesse Gebremedhin, Minister of Health, Ethiopia
• Awa Marie Coll-Seck, Minister of State, Ministry of State, Senegal
• Lothar H. Wieler, President, Robert Koch Institute
• Chikwe Ihekweazu, Incoming Assistant Director-General, WHO Hub for Pandemic and Epidemic Intelligence
• Inger Ashing, CEO, Save the Children International
• Paul Stoffels, Vice Chair of the Executive Committee & Chief Scientific Officer, Johnson & Johnson
• Jeremy Farrar, Director, Wellcome Trust
• Henrietta H. Fore, Executive Director, UNICEF
• Bill Anderson, CEO, Roche Pharmaceuticals
• Stefan Oelrich, Member of the Board of Management and Head of the Pharmaceuticals Division, Bayer AG, Germany
• Eckart von Hirschhausen, Physician and Comedian
• John Nkengasong, Director, Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention
• Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Director-General, World Trade Organization (WTO)
More on speakers: https://www.worldhealthsummit.org/summit/speakers.html
More on program and topics: https://www.conference.worldhealthsummit.org/Program/WHS2021
Digital participation in the World Health Summit is free and possible without prior registration. The Zoom links can be accessed directly in the respective sessions in the online program: https://www.worldhealthsummit.org.
All session recordings: https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldHealthSummit1
On-site participation is limited and by invitation only due to COVID-19. Access to the venue requires proof of EU-approved vaccination, recovery or negative test, not older than 24 hours. On-site, hygiene and distancing rules apply.
The World Health Summit is one of the world’s most important strategic forums for global health and brings together leaders from politics, science, civil society, and the private sector, aiming to set the course for a healthier future. It was founded in 2009 to mark the 300th anniversary of Charité and is held under the patronage of German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Emmanuel Macron, President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen and Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General. President of the World Health Summit is Axel R. Pries, Dean of Charité. International President 2021 is Charles Ibingira, Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Uganda.
Press information: https://www.worldhealthsummit.org/media/presskit.html
Press accreditation for on-site participation has been closed.
For further inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Digital participation is possible without accreditation. Video and audio material can be used upon request. Source: World Health Summit
World Health Summit
Kosmos, Karl-Marx-Allee 131a, 10243 Berlin, Germany & Digital
LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram: @worldhealthsummit